Friday, September 16, 2005

Making a Return to the Classroom

This might sound funny to some of you but while I was in college working on my Undergraduate degree, I spent some of my time teaching. Yes, as a college senior, I thought a High School class at Covenant Harvest School. It was very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot but I am afraid I can't say the same for my students.

The class went to well that when the next year rolled around, the school declined the option to renew my contract. Might I also add that I did this pro-bono. Yes, thats how valuable I was. "Sorry Ugo, we are going in a different direction. Your position has been downsized. We are scaling back operations. You are not a part of the long term future of this school. In other words, take your pick." Well, that ended my teaching career. Well one of the real reasons I was told to "look for other opportunities" was the fact that I was about to begin the MBA program and the school principal did not think it would be fair to me. Anyways, I moved on. That was two years ago.

I have always said that if I were to hit the lottery or retire early, I would go teach pro-bono. Why? I am not so sure. I would either do that or be a waiter or something where I was around a lot of people. This is in addition to traveling the world to wherever my buddies are building the church and helping them out.

Why am I saying all this? Good Question but unfortunately, none of us knows the answer. Needless to say, I am making a return to the High School classroom today as a substitute teacher. I only wonder if I have the juice to do it again. Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodluck with that!I hope the kids enjoy it as much as you do.By the way,what do you teach?

Ugo said...

Well, as a College Senior and an ex-Information Systems major, I has the goods to teach a High School level computer class. But that was two years ago. I doubt that I can do it again. Friday, however, I was substituting for the biology teacher.

Sarah said...

Hey, you should check out my blog, Don't freak out on me, ok?

Sarah said...

Oh, I am sorry that you don't like it. Sucks to be you. Everytime you look at me you are just going to have to look at something you don't like.

Ugo said...

If you say so but I just thought I would be honest you know. Everyone else in the world might like it but I guess I am not on that wagon. I mean you are still pretty but...you know...long hair...much better...

Sarah said...

You make me smile Ugo. I am glad that you are honest with me. Yeah, for the most part, everyone else loves it, but you don't have to be like everyone else. LOng hair is harder to manage. :) Have a great day my friend...

Ugo said...

Sarah, you know that not life nor death nor angels or demons or long hair can do damage to our friendship ;-).

Anonymous said...

You probably came out of the sustitute teaching experience a stronger, better man. I'm proud of you, Ugo. (all this said in one of those big God voices, like on Monty Python)