Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Gas Prices and Raising the Minimum Wage!!!

Well, has any one seen the gas prices lately? I pulled into the gas station here in Kansas and I thought I was living in California. $2.10 a gallon. This is really getting out of hand. I'd like to hear what any hard nosed anti-regulation or anti "big government" Republican or Democrat for that matter who makes as little as I do tell me they don't the government to regulate the Petroleum industry. All I have to say to you is that I am sending you my gas receipts for you to re-imburse me what I have spent. I mean, this is insane.

Don't get me wrong. I am a huge supporter of capitalism and I do understand that with its benefits comes a price but I also support government intervention when things get out of hand and folks this is out of hand. Lets not start blaming OPEC here. Don't even go there with me. Does anyone know the most profitable industry in fiscal year 2004? That's right, the Petroleum industry. Yes, EXXON Mobil out did themselves. Exxon Mobile had the highest Net Profit of any company in the world last year. That's not because of OPEC creating a shortage. This reminds me of the phantom energy shortages that Enron and their cohorts created in 2001 and 2002 in the State of California. This is just wrong. And to think that it is a huge issue to raise the minimum wage that has been stagnant for 9 years.

In those same 9 years, both the House and the Senate have voted to give themselves raises virtually every year. Their excuse is the cost to businesses and tax payers. What a bunch of hipocrites. I mean, how do those guys live with themselves or sleep at night? Actually, I am sure quite well because they all have full stomachs.

It's a shame or a sham, whichever way you look at it. Won't it be easier or better justified that the increase in the minimum wage matches the rate of inflation over the last 9 years? The raises that these guys give themselves sure as heck exceeds that rate. If a lightening bolt struck Capitol Hill sometime (no so that they die but that they get the message) while they are voting down the bill to increase minimum wage, I won't flinch.

Glad I could get that off my chest.

No comments: