Friday, May 06, 2005

The 2005 Kentucky Derby

Kentucky Derby 131 2005 Derby Coverage Derby Contenders

Everyday, if you pay attention, you'll find new things about the people around you. One of the things that not many people know about me (including my close friends) is that I am a fan of Horse Racing and especially the sport's Triple Crown. My interest perked up through the movie "The Champ." It went dormant for a few years and perked back up in 2001 when Monarchos won the Kentucky Derby. Then in 2002, War Emblem won both the Derby and the Preakness only to lose at the Belmont Stakes. Since then the Horse that won the Derby has gone on to win the Preakness only to fall short at the Belmont Stakes; Funny Cide in 2003 and who can forget probably the best horse of my generation Smarty Jones. Smarty Jones reminded me of Seabiscuit (one of my favourite movies) except that he whipped other horses like they were mules only to lose by a nose at the Belmont Stakes. I was devastated. Well not really but I so badly wanted to see a Triple Crown winner.

This year, at 5-2 odds, the favourite to win the Derby is Bellamy Road owned by both Emperor of the Evil Empire, George Steinbrenner and his loyal subject Joe Torre. However my pick to win it all is no other than Afleet Alex at 9-2. My sentimental favourite is Noble Causeway because its jockey is my main man Gary Stevens. My dark horse to win it (and no, it is not a "dark horse") is Buzzard's Bay, winner of the Santa Anita Derby.

A common misconception is that anyone who is into Horse Racing bets it. Well, I guess I will be the exception to the rule. Folks enjoy the race.

No comments: