Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Few Phrases that need to be retired

This blog is strictly for laughs or at the very least a chuckle…for me anyway. Here are a few phrases I believe need to be retired and for that reason, I have added them to my daily repertoire to hasten the nature of their uselessness and over usage. I will like to say that they still crack me up when I hear them or say them. What can I say, I am easily amused. Feel free to add yours in the comment section and I will sure to consider it for the list…

1. Taking care of business – As in “I am just taking care business:” Usually used by someone trying to feel important. Also used in attempt to display, “I am busy, don’t mess with me.” Other uses exist but this is what comes to mind.

2. Keeping it real – As in “I am just keeping it real” or “let me keep it real with you.” Originated in the black community (at least that is what I think) and used in place of, “I’m just being honest with you.” While the genesis of those two phrases had great intentions, they have slowly begun to tether on the line of political incorrectness (with regards to prejudice of varying kinds) or just mean spiritedness. Sure other connotations exist. However, most of the context usually ends with one person being really upset and another thinking he has just done a favor.

3. The aforementioned “I’m just being honest with you.” Needs to be retired for all the above reasons. Other variations of the phrase include, “let me be honest with you” or “let me be frank (to which I say, why)”

4. Making things happen/ Getting things done – on the same line as the first one but I usually think “sinister dude” when I overhear this. Drug dealers make things happen. Mafia guys make things happen and so do dictators and scam artists. So please, let’s move on from this phrase.

5. Chief – Now this isn’t a phrase but nothing says, I don’t know your name and I don’t care like being called Chief. Variations include sir, Mr, dude (I like dude though)…many more

6. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger- either that or more bitter…time to go.

7. Superdelegate- Birth as a result of the Democratic Party, given life as a result of the elongated democratic primary. Now that it is over…they just need to go away.

8. It’s not you, it’s me – well, in that case enjoy the dialog below…

"Gwen: It's not you, it's me.

George: You're giving me the "it's not you, it's me" routine? I invented "it's not you, it's me". Nobody tells me it's them not me, if it's anybody it's me.

Gwen: All right, George, it's you.

George: You're d**n right it's me."


Seinfeld fans, that’s a favorite.

Well, that’s it for me…I may add more in the future in form of a new blog. I will also in the near future post a blog on “Dudes I do not want to be.” Here is a teaser…”Constant Bluetooth Headset Dude”

2 comments:

Michelle said...

HAHA "Constant bluetooth headset dude" I agree!

Hey, Ugo, how about, "That's whack!" or "That's phat!"

Ugo said...

Agreed..."That's Whack and That's phat (it's late nineties brother" need to go. Seriously if you are still using those, it may be time to see a physician.