Thursday, June 16, 2011

Response to your Questions.

Last time, I asked for questions so here are the few questions I got in order of when I received them and my responses- 

Lori - About the pic of Amy (looking lovely) wearing a life vest: do you provide your own life vests?

We do not have to provide our own life vests although it'd probably more sanitary if we did. Each boat has a few and I think we've used 5 so far and I know of 2 that we haven't been in just yet.

Anna - What have been the 3 most difficult things to adjust to (for you or Amy), and the 3 easiest things to adjust to? I think it might help me understand what everyday life is like for y'all.

The is a bit trickier to answer and it is also a fluid answer i.e. depending on the day. I would say the most difficult thing to adjust to is easily the traffic situation. It is extremely worse than can be comprehended and completely unpredictable except that when it rains, it is downright awful. Another thing would be the issue of "Nigerian Time" i.e. time typically means nothing to many people so meetings are usually late and projects aren't usually completely if ever on time. The traffic situation doesn't help that either. Lastly, I would say that having to live away from many of the godly relationships that have made me in large part who I am today is a tough pill to swallow. 

The easiest things...the weather since I prefer heat to the brutal winters of the Midwest. The food (for me anyway) is also easy to fall back in love with especially Suya (google it) and finally, being back around certain friends and family has been very easy. There are just some relationships that transcend the effects of time lost.

Kerri - Ugo, I love that you're taking photos and blogging. You could take a photo of the outside of your apartment from the boat. Also, what does your office look like? Take a photo of some of the native foods as well please.

Unfortunately, you may have to endure poor pictures in this respect here. My office is simple. I have a glass desk, two short cabinets that sit on the ground. I also have a small 22in flat screen TV on the wall that isn't currently functional. As far as pictures of native food, I will do that as an ongoing project. Here are the pictures you requested -

View of Apartment Building from the boat


View of Apartment from the Boat


View of the Water from our Apartment
My office Desk


Roasted Corn a.k.a. BBQ According to Amy 
As I get more pictures of local foods, I will make sure I share them. It's not too often that I actually eat a lot of very local foods other than the variations of rice here as well as the aforementioned suya. That's all the questions I have. If you have any other questions or request, don't hesitate.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Thanks for responding Ugo! We appreciate it. Don't let any kernels fall on your keyboard.

Lori said...

That was a wonderful post! Everyone asked great questions. Thanks Ugo!

Anna said...

Thank you so much! I loved seeing the other questions and answers too. You have a wonderful view from your apartment. I don't think I'd mind riding a boat to work everyday! :)