Monday, December 12, 2011

Pitt Stop! And Florence, AL for the Weekend?


Harmattan season is upon us and for those (most of you) who don't know what that is, just click on the link for more details. But basically, it marks the dry season which occurs between November and March. One of the trademarks is that its winds come from the Sahara desert and brings with it lots and I mean lots of dust. In the mornings, it looks just like fog but it is not. If you don't wash your car daily, it would look like you haven't washed it in days. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but not far from reality. In the mid mornings, you can stare directly as the sun because there is a haze (dust) that makes it possible without hurting your eyes. 

The Sun behind the dust
A bit of haze overlooking the Loading Gantry


So I guess instead of a white Christmas, we get a dusty one. Speaking of Christmas, the countdown to departure continues and I am doing just about anything I can to prevent Amy from crashing her head into the ceiling in excitement and I am running out of options. I’ve tried bribing her, shame, bets…I just can’t seem to calm her down. But who can blame her really. The only thing I am not looking forward to is sub zero temperatures but I am good with just about anything else. All in all, I am ready for a Pitt Stop. 

While I’m on the topic of Pittsburg, I would like to give a big shout out to the Pittstate Gorillas, my alma mater! Our Football team is heading to Florence, Al for the DII National Championship coronation game. Unfortunately I missed all season in person although I caught a bunch of the highlights and watched them absolutely shred Northwest in the Quarter Finals! I had hopes for them after the first game of the season but Natl. Championship game? Consider me pleasantly surprised. It now leaves me in a bit of a conundrum. Do I make the trip to Florence? Or do I watch it on TV? I am yet to decide but it’s right now 50-50 and if any of the Chip Travis tailgate crew is planning a trip, I need informed ASAP. 

With that, I will leave you with a few pictures from my weekend...

Heading home for the weekend via my preferred route

Lagos (Nasty) Lagoon
Crashed a birthday party for a Lebanese guy


Many International Guests


Several roasted pigs. I missed out because I had to run...
Update! Looks like I have successfully made tentative plans to get to Alabama for the Game! I am excited about it and obviously being able to have a break with all my peeps in the 'burg!

No comments: