Tuesday, September 27, 2011

LOS>IAH>PVR>IAH>LOS

I have this recurring dream where I wake up each day and I am in Lagos, Nigeria and I realize, I need to do a better job keeping everyone in Pitt up to date on what’s going on here and then I don’t! Wait, that’s not a dream, that’s my reality and I apologize to those who eh…well, for anyone interested in my blabber.


Alright, when I was last here, Amy was leaving me for Canada to attend Eddine’s wedding so I had to “Bach” it for a few days. It was a bit strange but I think it went well. She left on Wednesday, August 31st and was to return Monday evening, September 5th. After that, we were both scheduled to fly out September 6th i.e. the very next day to Houston for a summit. But alas, these things never go according to plan. But I am getting ahead of myself.

It ended up being quite eventful while Amy was gone. My boss celebrated his 40th birthday that weekend. Unfortunately, the mood among staff during that weekend was dampened due to the sudden and surprising death of one of our colleagues on Saturday, the 3rd of September. It was quite sad especially since she had left a positive impression on most people who knew her including myself. She was young and what ailed her was sudden and under many circumstances in developed nations, she may have been spared but our medical system here leaves lots to be desired.

Back to Amy’s tale…so I got a call Sunday night from Amy letting me know that she won’t be able to make it in from D.C. until Tuesday evening due to a flight cancelation! Wait…I know what you are thinking. Isn’t that the day we are to go to Houston? Yes…it was and yes, it would mean another transatlantic flight for Amy in less than 6 hours. Wait, I know what you are thinking now…why didn’t she just fly from D.C. to Houston? *Sigh* I would love to answer that, but this post is already going to be long as it is…

Needless to say, I got an email from Amy itemizing everything I was to pack for her so that I wouldn’t leave anything out. But what she didn’t realize is that I had two surprises so I had to pack a little extra and trust me, in my less than 2 years of marriage, this was one of my toughest assignments yet.

Luckily she got in to Lagos albeit a little late and we went right back to departures and checked in and right before that, I let her know about the first surprise…we will be flying business class.

*NOTE* I typed up at least another page of information after this and the power just flickered. Unfortunately, I am/was using a desktop with no battery backup. So not cool…so I guess you’ve been spared since there’s no way I am typing all that again. So the rest of this will be brief.

We were given Sky Lounge passes (since we were flying in class) and if you haven’t flown out of the Lagos airport, you won’t understand the value of those! It was in there I handed Amy the second surprise of the evening…her birthday present- A 3 day and 3 trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico! I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves a little later. Now, I had debated a 3 day and 3 night trip to Pittsburg (I actually did) BUT we’ve had little time to ourselves since we temporarily quasi relocated here. It was a winner.

Well, it was nice to be back in the States and Houston was very convenient since Ben and Juan (two of my siblings) live there. So we finally got to tour Juan’s Palace…sorry Castle a.k.a. The Nwagwu Place @ Houston. While we stayed at the St. Regis for most of the working days we had there, we were hosted by Juan for 3 nights which we do appreciate.

We are back now…trying to get back into the swing of things. Can’t wait to be back in Pitt in exactly 80 days (by God’s grace). Can’t wait to see you all again and meet Emma Joy Posterick (seems like whenever we leave, someone pops out a kid…hmmm). *I just saved this note for the 21st time*. Until then, I will try to do a better job staying in touch. If you are bored and want to visit, we will love to have you. If you are tired of your governement, we will also love to entertain you here...hehe. Enjoy PVR PIX. Oh…just a warning, the pictures were taken with a phone camera because I forgot ours again…

Kerri, I thought of you when we walked in here - Houtson, TX
  
Amy ready for a little R&R

Need I say more...yes, I say more - Delicious!
  

Romantic Perhaps? I don't know how to judge these things

Sunset on Puerto Vallarta

Already ordering room service


As delicious as it was beautiful

The Pacific...as beautiful as it is in my dreams




They played while the resort treated us to a Mexican Independence Day Special

PS: Due to all the travel activities we've engaged in this year, we are now both SkyTeam Gold Medallion Members!

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I'm so glad that you two got to have a little getaway! :) It looks amazing! Good job, Ugo! I had no idea the Lagos airport had a sky lounge, haha! :)

Ugo said...

Unfortunately Kayla, it feels like ages ago and yes, the Sky Lounge was actually pretty nice. Almost worth paying how ever much it costs for some serenity in the chaos that is LOS. By the way, I saw read the article in the paper...looks like Joseph might end up being more of a Celeb than you already are ;-).