Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy (secular context) Halloween! AND Ghana for the weekend?

Halloween isn't a holiday celebrated here outside the...well, rich and well traveled as well as expats from Western Countries. You see, witchcraft here is no laughing matter. The spiritual is real and taken very seriously here. That said, many people here have probably never even heard of Halloween. So Happy (again, secular) Halloween is being directed at friends at home. Be sure to post numerous pictures of your fancy costumes. 

Well, as some of you know, I recently just turned 28 which strikes me as very odd. Amy did an excellent job making it a special day. She woke me up to breakfast - Blueberry Pancakes and scramble eggs on wheat toast! Yum. She got me a Starbucks cup and some coffee as well. I also got other gifts from my parents and a close friend of mine. We even got to go home before 7pm to have some delicious carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. All in all, it was a really good day and kudos to Amy for making it happen. One knock on Amy's birthday achievement is the card...butt ugly! But her excuse was that options were lack...bla bla bla...I think it was payback for not getting her a card on her birthday. 

Birthday Breakfast!

My Birthday Card from Ames

My Mom sent a cake as well!
Also in the last couple of weeks, Amy and I are once again a proud Aunt and Uncle as the Postericks welcomed a baby girl, Emma Joy and I am sure I will also have to fill the role as her favourite Uncle and of course it's a role that I am used to. But this is about the Posterick Family! And this is on the cusp of them opening Signet Coffee Roasters. So Mazel Tov all around.

I think that's all I have to share. I feel like I should have more but I apparently don't. I mean I could grip about the conditions of the roads that keep us in traffic for 3,4,5, hours going home (a ride that should last just 30 minutes). In fact, my single biggest challenge everyday is how to get home safely BUT God is in control and so far, we are doing well. The rains came back for October and they have been worse that the July rains...hard to imagine but it's true. They aren't as frequent but they are heavier. The good news is that the dry season is about to start and we should be good till May next year. 

Oh, there is one more thing...in keeping with having a bunch of holidays every year, we are set to have another 2 days off, next week to celebrate the Muslim holiday Eid-el-Kabir. I don't know a whole lot about it. All I know is that we get some days off and if Amy can get a visa this week, we will be heading to Ghana by God's grace. I also know that there are Rams everywhere for sale. So hopefully on my next blog, I'll have pictures from the Gold Coast.

No comments: