Thursday, July 14, 2011

House Guests

So of course I have been a lazy blogger but it is mostly due to legitimate reasons, I think anyway...

For nearly two weeks, we've been blessed with House Guests, Kayla and her son Joseph and I am sure for Amy, it's been a welcome change from seeing only me in the house day after day after day. I was even getting tired of me. I won't go into much detail but I sure hope Kayla doesn't mind that I stole a picture to share with the world. Kayla and her husband who will be arriving in a few days are both from the Midwest, USA. It's really been nice having Kayla around and she's been a real blessing (Joseph has been as well). Coming home to cooked meals and a lively atmosphere sure beats the alternative. So I would like to publicly thank you for all that. Hopefully we haven't been too bad a host. Please join Amy and I in praying to our Lord, Jesus Christ that her trip here will be as fruitful as they intend it to be and even more so.

Unfortunately we haven't been able to do so much out on the town with her since she's been there. Logistics with the rainy season is eh...tricky to be polite. I heard that it rains 21 out of the 31 days in July but I am starting to think they were way off. It’s rained 13 out of the 14 days here in epic proportions. Monday I believe was the first day in my life that schools were canceled because of rain! A rain day! It had rained all day non stop on Sunday and there was respite for a few hours between 1am and 5am. Well, the truth is that it’s because of the conditions of the roads and drainage system they were closed. When it rains like this, the roads are wasted due to massive flooding. It is unreal how bad it is on the Island portion of Lagos State. I left work Sunday night/Monday morning around 1.30am and there were car abandoned on the flooded streets. And guess what, it is currently raining.


Luckily, we’ve been able to use the boat mostly to and from work so I haven’t had to endure much traffic. I’m sure most people are looking forward to “August Break” where the rain subsides for a good portion of the month and resumes in September before giving way to dry season in November.


This road depicted is very close to where we work along the Oshodi/Apapa Expressway. The worst part about this is that the roads are actually so bad and with the water masking that, Trailers could and do tip over causing more havoc occasionally which of course further worsens the traffic situation. Obviously something that also happens unfortunately through all this is the loss of lives through multiple circumstances.





Well, that's all for now. Now, for those of you in Pitt, I can't wait to see you all and spend some time with you. I can't wait especially to hold my niece Adaora in my hand for the first time! This time tomorrow, we should be getting ready to touch down in the ATL!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hmmm, it's been raining a lot in KV this summer, almost every day, but obviously we are not getting the downpour you are. SO I will cease my complaining as you definitely have it worse than we do! Glad you all get to come home for a bit. Praying for safe travels for you and Amy,